Friday, October 1, 2010

"It's the end of the world as we know it..."

Do any of you locals remember when Planet 94.1 played the afore-mentioned song ALL day?? I do.

As I mentioned, Alex and I are on a serious "being prepared for the end of the world" kick.
I finished my book and am now even more convinced of the necessity of stockpiling everything we could possibly need in case of nuclear attack/EMP/war/asteroid/etc.
For your viewing/reading pleasure, I will list the items that we have come up with so far.

Cigarettes - for the first 60ish days after a disaster, you will be able to buy anything with cigarettes. After that it will be ammo.
Ammo - see above.
Alcohol - same reasons.
Bungee cords, tarps and lots of duct tape - no need to explain. Duct tape rules.
Preserved water or a water source.
Food, lots and lots of food. (I'm pretty interested in getting a supply of the freeze-dried stuff that lasts for 25 years so I don't have to think about it.)
Guns and ammo, lots and lots of ammo, otherwise whatever you have is useless because someone who does have a gun will come and take it.
Transportation other than a car.
Medicine - pain killers, antibiotics, and any other prescriptions you are reliant on.
Baby formula - if you are nursing and have to cut your calorie intake in half, your milk will probably dry up.
Extra contacts or glasses. This is the type of thing that you never even think about not being able to get more of. I never have more than one extra pair of contacts on hand. Good thing I have glasses.
Encyclopedias or printed material for reference, studying and entertainment.

Those are the things that top our list, and I'm sure we'll think of more. Alex and I went shooting for our date night on Wednesday (I looove our date nights!) and we shot a .22 and a 12 gauge shotgun. My shoulder still kills from the shotgun, but the .22 I loved. For a fun double date with the Telfords last night we went to look at guns, and TRIED to impulse buy one, but apparently you can't get a background check after 7pm. Impulse thwarted.
So now we're going to wait until we get our concealed weapons permit, cuz they do a bc check there so then we're all set for gun-buying. Won't it be so weird to carry around a gun, just because I can?! I'm pretty excited to pack heat, I won't lie.
Don't mess.

Weekend: $2.99 breakfast for dinner in Mesquite, then bingo with the family!
Bountiful Basket, garage sale-ing, watching Amy perform, general conference, more Telfords, more conference, more family.
It's going to be FANTASTIC!! I freaking love my life. Everything about it.

4 comments:

Tricia Jeanne said...

You are freaking me out! I am never going to read that book because I think I would be too scared to live. You guys are REALLY buying a gun?! Wow, I think I might just stick with plain old gross food storage and let you and your gun protect me.

And I'm just curious, who will you trade cigarettes with in Utah?

JlynTheo said...

It is actually pretty amazing to me how many people in St. George smoke. Just try eating lunch at the Promenade without getting smoke blown toward your food. I dare you.
And yes, we really actually already bought a gun :) I will post pictures soon.
P.S. You can come hang at our place and we (and our gun) will protect you...but it might be a long walk from Ohio... hehe.

Tricia Jeanne said...

Have you read The Road? Half my family loves it and half my family hates it.
If the apocalypse is anything like The Road, then we really will have the time to walk to you.

JlynTheo said...

I haven't read it, but I watched the movie. And after seeing it, I honestly don't know if I could handle the book. I still have nightmares about the cannibalism part. Blech.