Thursday, February 18, 2010

Weddings

Let me take a moment to discuss how I feel about weddings. This may take a while.
-Why, why, oh why do people feel like they "have" to do their wedding a certain way because that's the way everyone else did it? If you are having a line (THE WORST wedding tradition in the history of wedding traditions) do not expect me to stand in it. I came to your reception to celebrate with you and have fun. Not to stand in line, have the awkward moments with whomever you chose to stand in line with you, and then be herded past you as I try to sneak in a congratulations.
-Why do people think they have to spend thousands of dollars on their wedding? We had a fantastic wedding and we did it all - I mean ALL for around $3,000. (Dress, ring, tux, food, photographer, everything.) Do you really need ribbons around the chairs for an extra $300? No, no you don't.
-Guess what: I don't care that now that you're married you know how to cut cake together. (I all of a sudden became aware of how many people I'm probably offending...)
-Another guess what: It's awkward watching the whole garter thing.
-Please, don't do the piggy-back picture on your announcement. Please.
-And is it really your parents who are announcing the wedding? Cuz last time I checked we were in the 21st century and most people don't have their parents arrange their marriages.

I could go on. And on. I just feel so bad for people who stress out SO much about everything being "perfect" - and who is it for? It's for everyone else. I didn't give a hoot about what everyone else wanted for my wedding. We didn't stress, we didn't feel like we "had" to do certain things. And we had the time of our lives.

I really want to make a career out of wedding critiquing. Because obviously EVERYONE should do it just like we did. :) Totally kidding, sometimes I just have to poke fun at myself for being so convinced that my way is the right way. But seriously, it is.

This post has been thrice as long as I meant it to be. I rant when I feel strongly about something. Maybe my next post will be about childbirth and modern healthcare in general. That could go on for pages...

I'm very sorry if I have offended anyone. I would love to hear anyone's comments about this topic.

4 comments:

Tricia Jeanne said...

I can't tell you HOW MUCH I agree about the piggy-back engagement photos!!!! Hahahaha, I thought nobody noticed that stuff but me. Also, we LOOOOVED not having a line too. I think it completely changes the entire feel of the event.

Megan said...

Since you asked and since you know I love you, I will comment. While I agree with a couple points, such as the line being a slightly ridiculous and often boring tradition, and the fact that people spend way too much money on their weddings, there are things we have to remember. First, not all of us are as loveably quirky as you and Alex. :-) Second, some of us like and actually dream of the so-called traditional wedding. Indeed, I did not have a traditional wedding because I cared what anyone else wanted. It was in fact exactly what I had always wanted. Your comfort zone just happens to be quite a bit bigger than most people's. Which is something I've always loved about you. Just remember, often those weddings are what are genuinely wanted, not just people stuck on tradition. Though I admit, sometimes people forgo what they want to please others.

Anonymous said...

I think the reason most people follow tradition is because they lack imagination and are just plain boring.

Janet said...

Agreed. 100%. We're twins. But you don't have to be so angry about it, sheesh!

I can't WAIT for the childbirth post. :O)