Sunday, August 7, 2011

KITCHEN REMODEL = SUCKING

Yeah, it's been a long time since I've blogged, and I have no excuse other than I feel like I never have interesting to blog about. So I'm just going to pretend like we're still friends and you still want to read my blog sometimes. Yay!
So, as you can tell from the aforementioned kitchen remodeling, I'm a little frustrated. When I was envisioning all my home decor, I was really feeling retro-y. THIS is what I was going for in my kitchen.


But it turned out looking more like a bad piece of Anasazi Indian art. I really just hate it, more and more by the day. I really despise the thought of having to paint the whole wall again - even though I didn't even do it in the first place (thanks, In-Laws). Just, painting is hard work and it takes forever. But it will be worth it to have a kitchen that doesn't make me cringe whenever I walk in to it.
So - now, what color? I've been agonizing over it for weeks. I'm torn between trying a really light turquoise like this:


OR
a light green like this:


I'm really leaning towards the green, because I feel like I can do a lot more "vintage" accessories, and it seems like there is so much more freedom that way. With the turquoise I feel it's a lot more retro, and I think that's part of the reason it doesn't work in my kitchen - it really clashes with my wood floors.
I'm jazzed about going vintage, because I can put anything up on the walls, and it goes. Old frames, keys, mason jars for lights, random junk I find at garage sales. I just think it will be a lot more versatile.
So, what do you think? Thanks for any input :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the light green, but think it looks odd with the red cabinets. I'd go distressed white cabinets with the green paint. V. V. Cute:)

Also please post pictures of the kitchen in its Anasazi state.

Love, ris

Ruth said...

I like the light green as well. I think it would look great with your cabinets. After all green and red are complementary colors. You should post a picture of your current kitchen though. :) I SO feel your pain here. I bought 5 quart samples from Kwal only to hate pretty much all of them!! I'm completely rethinking my whole color palette. And I'm painting our WHOLE house! Luckily I'm paying workers to do it, but still, all the more reason to get it right. I LOVE your idea for a vintage kitchen. How fun! I'm not nearly that creative or ambitious--I'm envious! It's going to look FAB in the end !!

Janet said...

I third the green. More versatility and obviously what you want anyway. :)

I do agree about posting pics of how it is now too. People who haven't seen it need to see why you hate it. I completely understand because I've seen it. I personally don't think it's that bad, but I don't spend every day in it. Let me know when you're ready to do it and I'll make some time to come help.

Kelli Serafine said...

I agree that kitchen remodeling sucks! What we thought would be a simple weekend project has turned into months and months of work.I like the light green, I think it would look good. You should post pictures of your kitchen though...I bet it looks good. Or at least after all that work it should look good, right?

Heather Abbott said...

I was all set to vote turquoise. I LOVED your original idea (was really bummed for you that it didn't pan out the way you envisioned) and I hated to see the color leave all together. And just going from your inspiration pics I was still liking the turquoise better and thought that going with the lighter color might indeed solve your dilemma. BUT then I read on and I must admit you presented some really great points. I think you would do a great job vintage accessorizing with the green wall. I got so excited by your decorating ideas that I changed my vote and now I too think you should go green.

KristaBlack said...

Leave it alone. Tie in the look and colors you want with fabrics and other accessories. You hate it because it's not pulled together yet. I'll help you if you want. $200 and it'll ah-mazing don't worry.